People study nursing for many different reasons and often have differing goals for the resulting career. One of the big drivers for nursing students is that the field has plenty of job opportunities and comes with a great degree of respect and satisfaction. Nursing is about caring for others and there’s nothing more noble in our world. A nursing career can be quite lucrative too, if you find your niche and specialize your skills for high pay job sectors. Let’s run down a list of other reasons that nursing is a great career choice.
Nursing Jobs are In Demand
One of the fastest growing occupations in the United States is nursing, with a greater need for caregivers and qualified nurses to care for our aging elders and patients combating chronic disease. Opportunities for nurses will continue to expand in the next several years. The aging population within the United States will drive demand ever higher, along with some of the following reasons:
- Retiree vacancies will continue to see openings grow in the coming years. Predictions demonstrate hundreds of thousands of nurses will be needed in the next few years.
- Population growth is fueling demand with increased longevity and the need for healthcare services. Advanced practice nurses will be needed for preventative and primary care with a huge need to fill openings for elderly populations.
- Rural healthcare programs and grants will become available to those seeking employment in high need areas. Typically remote, isolated and understaffed regions of the United States, rural regions will see an uptick in need with a desire to fill positions.
The overall career field of nursing provides economic stability and job security, both highly attractive to nursing graduates. Options for work will increase while the opportunity to specialize and expand your career continue to unfold. It might mean taking a less than desirable job in a location that is not the primary choice at first, but jobs will become available with more experience, allowing nurses to continue their education and seek out new jobs tailored to their unique skill set.
Nursing is a Diverse Field
A wide-ranging career field, nursing is one that never has a dull moment on the job. A person working with other individuals who have any variety of ailments and concerns will never be bored. New patients come in daily which require new decisions, present new problems to solve, and keep everyone on their toes. Some fields in nursing are as varied as they come including:
- Travel nurses who relocate to cities with the highest need or go abroad to help manage health clinics, treat patients, or educate local staff in other countries.
- Flight nurses provide pre-hospital, emergency, and critical care to individuals needing medical evacuation via air transport or tend to individual victims of a natural disaster.
- Research nurses work with some of the front leading researchers in medicine and science around the world. Typically these nurses are among the first to know about medical developments and advances.
- Emergency room nurses enjoy the work of a fast-paced environment treating patients who need immediate attention, have been in an accident, or are in a high risk situation.
Nurses Make a Difference
Commitment and dedication is needed to be a nurse. Nurses experience a rewarding career but not without hard work, grit, and determination. The work put in is equal to the reward. Skills will be learned that can be adapted to life and work situations. Nurses help patients and families during high times of need. Listening, thinking, organizing, and leading are all skills needed to be a high level nurse. An individual not only makes a decent living but also feels good about the rewarding nature of the work over the lifespan of one’s career.
Felbry College supports students in finding the career path of their dreams. If you desire a rewarding profession with room for professional and personal growth, call us. Let us help you find the right educational path.